#MarchMeetTheMaker came and went in the blink of an eye and before I knew it, it was over. For anyone who doesn't know, I set up the Instagram challenge in February of 2016 to give people a solid month of content and so we could all get to know each other a bit better. It started off as a bit of fun and snowballed into something much bigger, quicker than I could have ever imagined. People from all over the world joined in and it really is a great community to be a part of and I've met some amazing new friends through it.
So what did I learn?
1. The power of social media is so much greater than I have ever given it credit for. This challenge wouldn't have the following that it does without the power of the
2. Preparation is important, like really important. I photographed most of my images way in advance because I knew that I would be away visiting Etsy HQ for a couple of days and I'd
3. That you can't please everyone and you can't like everything. At the start of
4. We're all in the same boat and have A LOT in common. I noticed so many similarities with other creative types during this challenge. One of the things I noticed the most is that we all seem to like the
Day 30 | Top tip – I had decided on something completely different for today’s
last night I had a sudden change of heart. My top tip for today is learning to believe in yourself (something I’m not great at doing). Social media can be post but of a buzz kill when it comes to being creative. You get sucked into all the pretty, well composed posts on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, and before you know it, you’ve lost all enthusiasm to do what you set out to do because everyone has ‘done it better’ or you don’t think you can reach some ridiculous high standard you’ve set yourself in your head and you just sit there in a ball of stress. Step back from those images. You ARE good enough. You know you are really, but because you’re bit start comparing your someone else’s middle it doesn’t feel like it. After all, comparison is the thief of joy and all that. Those beautiful images don’t show you, the hard work, sleepless nights, worries, balance of two jobs and stress that goes on behind the scenes. All you get to see are the best bits. So, my tip is, when you find yourself getting sucked in, switch it all off. The longer you stay to , the worse you’ll feel. Turn off those push notifications, make yourself a brew and relax. You are good enough, you just have to believe it. #Marchmeetthemaker #toptip #believe #believeinyourself #youaregoodenough #comparison #comparisonisthethiefofjoy #youcandoit #positive #youvegotthis #encouragement #easiersaidthandone comparing
As creative people
5. Creative people are really friendly and will help pick each other up. This is the best thing that I learnt over the course of the whole challenge. I saw a few people who were genuinely nervous about taking part for various reasons and strangers on the Internet would help to give them the confidence boost they needed to get going. There
I can't wait for #MarchMeetTheMaker next year. The community has had lots of great ideas of what they'd like to include. I just need to sift through them to make the final plan! Keep your eyes peeled for February 2018 for more on the next challenge.